Monday 11 December 2017

Oral B Using Gamification | University Work

The more I think about it the more I have noticed gamification in my everyday life. I recently purchased a new electric toothbrush from Oral-B and its their Genius 9000 Electric Toothbrush and of course I had to get the rose gold version. The way in which this toothbrush relates to digital communications is that Oral-B have managed to use gamification in a way I haven't seen it before. The toothbrush comes with an app and you download the app onto your phone and connect to it via bluetooth. You can then use the camera to detect where you need to brush more. Once all areas of the mouth have been brushed you then get a score of how well you have done, this is the part where gamification comes in. Users are able to personalise the session lengths and areas they want to focus on. I find that I am brushing my teeth for a longer amount of time just because I want to achieve 100% every time I brush, which I suppose is a good thing as it means my teeth will be well looked after but this is where I notice the gamification aspect as I am getting an achievement from just brushing my teeth. The Oral-B app gamifies the brushing habits of the user.


The products provides interaction with the user which track their oral care habits and can improve their overall oral care. Whilst using your phone to track your brushing it comes up with the latest news stories, weather updates and reminders of any dentist appointments you have. Oral-B have successfully created a toothbrush and a healthcare app which helps to develop brushing habits through gamification, whilst also keeping the user entertained and improving the quality of their dental care.

No comments :

Post a Comment